Competitive and Recreational Figure Skating
Skaters that desire one on one instruction and advancement into recreational and competitive figure skating can take private lessons during the OhioHealth Chiller's extensive freestyle schedule. Private lessons and freestyle ice times are offered at Dublin, North and Easton.
Skaters in private lessons set their personal goals with their private skating instructor and advance more rapidly with individual attention and independent practice. Skaters may desire to perform in OhioHealth Chiller Ice Shows and Competitions or just cultivate their skills at their own pace. Private instruction offers students a personal skating development plan to suit each skater's unique needs, schedule and ability.
There are two costs with private skating instruction.
- Freestyle Ice Time - Paid directly to the Chiller facilities
- Private Instructor Lesson Fees - Paid directly to the teacher
Freestyle Ice Time - $14.00 per hour.
Private Instructor Lesson Fees - Chiller Instructors charge $18 -$30 for 30 minute lessons. Each coach has a different rate. To find a coach, please see our instructor bios or contact Jessica Ott.
Our goal is to provide professional coaching and outstanding facilities for competitive skaters. Training is individualized so each skater can focus on every aspect of their performance and skill development.
Please check the Freestyle schedule for specific session times & updates.
Please note: Freestyle schedule changes occur periodically and are updated immediately below. Please check back regularly to be sure you have the latest updates or call the rink before coming if you're in doubt. At the request of students and instructors, the schedules are released months in advance. Therefore, unforeseen changes will occur and we do not release a printed schedule for that reason. Please check the schedule below to verify session times - select the date range you want to view and sort by date/time or location.
Updated Freestyle Procedures
Policy Updates: Polices are designed to provide safe facilities for all of our guests and staff, while making ice time available to as many skaters as is reasonable. We appreciate your cooperation and understanding.
- Freestyle High Sessions - Juvenile and Above
- Freestyle Low Sessions - Basic 3 through Pre Juvenile
- Freestyle General Sessions - Skating 3/Aspire
- Only ONLINE registrations and payments will be accepted for all freestyle sessions. Customers AND coaches must register in advance for a space. Walk in or phone in registrations will not be allowed.
- Skaters may only purchase 30-minute and/or one-hour sessions of Freestyle ice.
- Upon arrival at the rink, you will need to check in with staff at the front desk.
- No Refunds or Transfers
- Sessions may be cancelled due to insufficient registrations. We will provide as much notice as possible and apply credits or refunds as applicable.
- The only type of hockey lessons permitted are basic skills skating (up to Basic 5). No advanced power or edge work is allowed. No full gear. No sticks or pucks.
- Guest Coaching Policy
All guest coaches must be pre-approved by the Figure Skating Director prior to teaching on Chiller sessions. Guest coaches must submit: Proof of liability insurance, PSA Membership & USFS registration. Intended teaching schedule must be emailed to the director prior to the session. Guest coaches will pre-purchase ice time online and check in at the front desk before taking the ice. Chiller Ice Rinks reserves the right to deny teaching privileges at their discretion.
Rules of the Ice
It is the intention of the Chiller and its staff to provide a safe and positive environment for all skaters. In addition to showing respect and good manners, please review and abide by the following rules while skating on the ice. Any skater not following the rules may be removed from the session by a coach or member of management.
- All sessions are limited in size as outlined on the schedule pages. Skaters and coaches must register and pay online. Session registration opens as indicated by each session.
- The Chiller reserves the right to cancel sessions with low enrollment.
- Skaters must check in at the front desk prior to the start of each session. If you purchase a 30-minute ice session you may not enter the ice before/remain on the ice after your time begins/expires. If you do skate beyond the 30 minutes you registered for, you will be charged for the additional 30-minute session. Failure to pay for ice time may result in loss of skating privileges.
- Ice monitors may be assigned to sessions as deemed necessary by building management.
- Parents, spectators and skaters are asked to not stand at the ice surface door. The ice surface door must remain open and unblocked at all times. Please view skaters from all other areas of the rink maintaining minimum 6' physical distance from other guests. Please do not interrupt other skaters during a session. Do not yell across the ice. Do not interfere with another skater’s session.
- All skaters must read and follow the safety rules posted by the Chiller.
- Any skater performing their program with their music has the ultimate right of way. Please take a moment when program music is being played to identify the skater it belongs to.
- The jump harness may only be used by Chiller coaches on staff. Skaters may not use the jump harness with one another.
- All skaters must yield and re-direct the skating around a skater and coach using the jump harness (except for a skater performing their program to music).
- Zamboni doors must be closed before skaters may take the ice. Ice surface doors must be closed while an ice make is in progress.
- Only water bottles will be permitted on the ice. No other food or drink is permitted.
- Props are not permitted on the ice unless the session is designated Showcase or ISI practice ice.
- Skaters may not leave anything on the boards during an ice resurfacing. Skaters must remove all items they bring out to the surface/boards.
- Skaters must be cognizant of jump patterns and not linger in the corners of the ice. If a skater wishes to practice for several minutes in one spot, the skater is responsible for watching for other skaters setting jumps and must move out of a jumper’s way.
- Skaters may have their music played a second time in a single session if time allows. Music may be played an additional time or times if all other skaters wishing to have their music played have had their music played at least once.
- For the safety of everyone, coaches and students may not sit on the boards.
- All music must be acceptable for all ages. Music with adult language or content will not be permitted.
- Warm–up music may not be played excessively loud.
- Please be respectful of the Chiller Sound Equipment; it is very costly to replace. Do not unhook or move equipment or change settings. If you need help, ask the Building Manager.
- Any participant deemed unsafe or not following policy may be removed from the session.